Project Proposal

I am thinking of different aspects of my identity that I could create into an installation. Immediately I am interested in the idea of how Jewish identity being portrayed in a space. I have found that growing up in such a large Jewish community, when I came to Lawrence people did not know what Judaism looks like. Right now we see a lot of tension around the Jewish community and I want to somehow replicate the feeling of comfort that I have had in a Jewish home growing up and display elements of my culture that are not commonly known to the public. 



Artist Inspirations: 

Marc Chagall 

Yaacov Agam

Gary Rosenthal










Evening Enchantment (1948), Marc Chagall  


This piece, a print, used to hang in my childhood home. At the dining table I would face this painting every night for ten years. Each time I looked at it, I discovered something new. The artist Marc Chagall often creates work inspired by Jewish history and culture. 

 




America Windows (1977), Marc Chagall, Art Institute of Chicago 

This installation of these windows in the Art Institute is also something that brings me back to my childhood. As a child (and still now) my mother would bring me to the Art Institute and we would spend time looking at this piece.  Chagall often works with glass. Glass in the Jewish community has different meanings: creation and destruction. 

Creation: there is a tradition at weddings to break a glass.

Destruction: Kristallnacht (Austria, 1938), "night of broken glass" during Holocaust 



Salon Agam (1971-1975) originally built for Elysee Palace in Paris, France 

My grandparents have a Agam print in their home of a Jewish star. Agam has done installation work in the past using bold colors and busy patterns. For some this installation (Salon Agam) may be overstimulating, but focusing on one area and playing with proximity may be something to keep in mind when it comes to a busy environment. 




Other things to include: 

Mezuzah (on doorway of Jewish household) 
Ketubah (Jewish contract of marriage, typically displayed in a home)








Image of tentative installation plan 
Location: Mudd Gallery  


Overall concept:
Shabbat happening (get several members of Hillel to assist in prayers, be at table)
    can I light candles in the space? 

Film of making challah (ritual break for Shabbat) playing on side 
    Make challah before hand (several, so people can eat it) 

Rocks in front of family pictures 
    memorial (think about: what can people do with the rocks? how can they interact with them) 


Lights above (colors)
    resembling Chagall colors/American windows 

























Comments

  1. I really like your including of childhood into this. It seems a great way to make the installation very personal. Glass can have a lot possibilities so if you decide to do something with that then you would have a lot to work with. I love this

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts