No.1- Three Objects (Condom, Banana, Condom)


Condom, Banana, Condom

These three objects do not mean a lot to me. I searched my room for objects that resonate with me. For example, color, texture, or something of significance to my character. Instead, I found that this was difficult, and I did not find any object that was calling my name. This reminds me of how Marcel Duchamp describes his readymade objects. He does not feel a sense of attachment or admiration with the objects at first, but over time he develops a liking for the objects (Bottle Rack, 1914). I felt indifferent about the objects in my room, so I walked around SLUG house and stumbled upon three objects all sharing a similar quality: the color yellow. We often associate yellow with happiness, playfulness, things that are uplifting or positive. I decided to run with this playfulness concept as well, specifically in the last of the three images (condom balloon). 

My first image is of a yellow condom wrapper (Trojan Brand). This is the only object of the three that is more linear and sharp. The edges of the condom are pointy and may evoke a frightening feeling, however this is contradicted by the yellow color on the wrapper. 

I suppose this banana (second image) reminds me of Andy Warhol's 1967 Banana. 

This banana seemed completely yellow at first, and upon further examination it did not have any brown spots: it is perhaps... almost perfect. 

The third image is an inflated condom. Also yellow. 
It is similar in shape to the banana. I chose this to reinforce the playful energy mentioned above, as we do not typically see a condom in this shape or form.



yellow is my name, my friend, my lover

A condom left on the bedside table.
A banana in the kitchen. 




                                       on the floor.




Comments

  1. Firstly, love the fact that you went with a color theme for this. You're right about yellow being a happy color! Especially with a bright background to match the brightness of the yellow. It's also nice to see that while you couldn't tie these objects to yourself, you were able to affiliate some aspects of it to other artists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you've selected your three objects and the way you've connected them to Duchamp's ideas. Also, I find your method of choosing objects based on the color yellow is interesting. It seems that these items share more than just a color connection; they appear to have more connections with each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! shape, color, this sort of phalic energy are all connected

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts