Kayla Bauer Reflection

 "I adopt and adapt stories from these found images" 

Kayla Bauer's "The End of Somewhere" brings up themes of home. She describes her work as a longing for something that she does not know. Within this her photographs  are composed of new and old places. As a viewer, it is difficult to tell what is old versus new. This melds the past and present, and while looking around I found myself not knowing which is which. 

I find this to be even more apparent because of the placement of the photos. New and old photos are mixed together and, to me (the untrained eye), are placed almost randomly. While walking around the gallery I asked myself, "Where do I begin?". I suppose this is a concept that even Bauer is calling upon in her work. 

As a viewer I was drawn to the colors of Bauer's work. Most photos have tones of grey, purple, and beige. This makes the few brighter colors like pink and even a more brown-red stand out. I was wondering why she chose this color palette. Perhaps it is what was available to her, but this got me thinking about my own experience in San Fransisco. I visit Nolan Pudoff each summer out in California and pass through San Fransisco.  When I recall my own memories there I see bright colors (pink, yellow, and green). Almost the opposite of what Bauer has portrayed for the viewer here. Perhaps her memory, and longing is more solemn. While my reflection and recall of San Francisco holds a different tone. 

Comments

Popular Posts